Success – Great American Appetizers
Lean and Food Safety
Great American Appetizers
Great American Appetizers is Lean and Safe
Great American Appetizers has been providing premium appetizers to the foodservice trade since 1959. GAA serves the nation with a complete selection of appetizer products from manufacturing facilities in Nampa, Idaho.
GAA enrolled in TechHelp’s Lean for Food with Lean English Essentials program that helps food processors overcome workplace language issues and implement the principles of Lean Manufacturing. TechHelp, a member of the MEP National Network™, worked with the GAA team to create greater efficiency, safety, and organization. GAA also worked with TechHelp to implement a Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) program; an internationally recognized method of identifying and managing food safety-related risks.
- Lean, HACCP and food certification activities led to sales increase of $4.42 Million.
- Lean helped GAA save $340,000 in labor, materials, energy and overhead.
- Lean helped GAA avoid a $3.5 Million plant expansion.
- The company moved from a 7-day to a 5-day operation that led to better morale and attitude through employee empowerment.
· 5S Visual Workplace activities created a safer, more intuitive and more efficient workplace.
“Our Lean effort drew widespread support from employees, and didn’t lead to job losses. Productivity is up, waste is down and the overall picture is a lot of improvement and more communication.”
–Luis Garcia, Plant Superintendent, Great American Appetizers