Success – Mountain States Oilseeds
Food Safety & Export
Mountain States Oilseeds
American Falls, ID
Mountain States Oilseeds Slides Into Global Markets
Mountain States Oilseeds’ solid business relationships and high-quality seeds make the company a leading worldwide supplier of safflower, mustard, and flax seeds. Based in the Eastern Idaho town of American Falls, MSO is a small company with big abilities. For over forty years MSO has worked with growers to establish product quality levels that meet the highest international standards for consumers and processors.
As a relatively small company in rural Idaho, MSO depends on organizations such as TechHelp, a member of the MEP National Network™, and its university, state, and private sector partners for information and services. TechHelp’s Food Manufacturing Team provided food safety courses that helped MSO earn several certifications that attest to product quality and safety. TechHelp’s growth team guided MSO through Idaho’s ExporTech Program, which helped the company identify and develop its best export opportunities. The program helped employees learn more about selling products worldwide and empowered them to execute their knowledge on the job. In addition to the United States, MSO sells products in Central and South America, Asia, and Europe.
- Increased/retained jobs: 1 new job, 2 retained jobs
- Invested $1,000 in workforce practices and employee skills
- Sells to the entire United States and exports to Central and South America, Asia, and Europe.
- New cleaning facilities increased efficiency and keep deliveries timely.
- A superior rating in Food Safety led to multiple other certifications.
“TechHelp helped us understand and address complex food safety regulations and meet our goals in international and domestic markets. Without their export program, we would be dead in the water.”
– Bill Meadows, Owner, Mountain States Oilseeds